Why Choose Heat Pumps
Why Choose a Heat Pump Over a Furnace?
- Reliable and long-lasting systems.
- Zero carbon emissions.
- Can be up to 300 percent more efficient than a gas furnace.
- Cheaper utility costs each month.
- Quiet operations as low as 46 decibels.
- Benefit from getting heating and cooling.
- Lower maintenance costs than dual fuel systems.
- In the past 10 years, gas prices have gone up nearly 300 percent while electric rates have gone up about 50 percent.
The world is evolving, and renewable energy is at the top of everyone’s minds. When you pair that with the changing climate everywhere, especially here in Washington, there has been a huge influx of people switching to electric heat pumps as their source for heating and cooling.
But why is everyone making that change? And why is everyone deciding to switch to heat pumps? Washington is one of three states (New York and California) to introduce legislation that effectively bans natural gas heating for new construction homes and office buildings. Pair that with the Climate Commitment Act passed in 2021, and you can see how Washington is trying to become carbon neutral by 2050.
What does that mean for you and your HVAC? In the Seattle area, our gas company is publicly traded. As more and more people switch to electric appliances, coupled with other clean energy mandates, the gas company will need to do something to keep their investors happy. That would be raising the price of gas.
We have already been seeing this change over the last 10 years. Over the past decade, gas prices have gone up over 300 percent, whereas our electric rates have increased by only 50 percent. That is because our electric company is city-owned and we are hydroelectric.
Heat pumps are cheaper to operate than furnaces. Pair that with the fact that heat pumps have zero emissions, and you can see why many customers are turning to this form of heating and cooling. In Washington, we are in a new era of heating and cooling.
We are experiencing unprecedented heat waves in the summer—and the longevity of these heat waves keeps increasing. The need for air conditioning keeps growing.
A heat pump heats your home in the winter and cools it like an air conditioner in the summer. It takes the place of two separate appliances, cutting down your maintenance and repair costs. When you have a furnace and air conditioning unit, you must maintain two systems: the gas side and the electric side. With a heat pump, you only maintain one appliance.
Lastly, there are many rebates and incentives to switch over to a heat pump from a gas furnace. Seattle City Light offers rebates. Heat pumps purchased after January 1, 2023, qualify for rebates and tax credits under the Inflation Reduction Act. For more information about qualifying for possible benefits in the Inflation Reduction Act, please visit:
Every home is different, and every homeowner has different needs. Please reach out to our company and have a Design Expert see if moving to a heat pump makes sense for you as well!
Ballard Natural Gas Service has been installing Mitsubishi systems for over 20 years. We are your #1 Dealer for Mitsubishi in the country, winning the Soar award in 2022.
We get higher allocation than our competitors and priority access to parts and equipment. When a request comes through Mitsubishi directly, we actually have the request sent to us first, so we can get the first stab at it because of our relationship with them. Across the country last year, they only had warranty claims on a quarter percent of their equipment. The next closest was three percent. They are the quietest systems of any brand.
Now for the energy costs. We design your home to heat and cool on the hottest and coldest days of the year. It is really only those temperatures about 10 percent of the time. The other 90 percent of the time your system is oversized.
What makes the Mitsubishi system so great is that it can use the minimum amount of energy to heat and cool your home. It can work at 42 percent or 86 percent capacity—or anything in between. That makes it up to 300 percent more efficient than a gas furnace with a 99 AFUE rating.
For example, it takes about $15 to produce one million BTUs with a furnace—but only $10 or so with a heat pump. Pair that with the change in gas and electric rates mentioned above, and you will start saving more and more.
The outdoor units are also the quietest in the industry. They run between 46 and 52 decibels, making it impossible to find anything this quiet. Anyone living in Seattle knows we have the strictest noise ordinance in the country: 45 decibels at the property line. Having a unit this quiet makes it easier to design your system and locate these units in more convenient areas around your yard.
Mitsubishi heat pumps offer a great return on your investment. Schedule a free consultation today to learn more about them.